Let’s find How Much do Douse Sitters Make per Night!
House sitting has exploded in popularity in recent years. Homeowners increasingly hire house sitters to care for their homes, pets and belongings any time they travel or go away. For animal lovers with a flexible schedule, house sitting provides an incredible opportunity to travel and earn extra income at the same time.
But how much can you actually make per night as a gardienne de maison? In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the average pay range for overnight house sitting gigs. We’ll look at the factors that impact nightly earnings, pricing strategies, examples of actual pay rates, how to maximize your nightly income potential, and much more to help you establish profitable, competitive rates as a house sitter.
House sitting involves living in a homeowner’s house and caring for their property, pets, plants and other belongings while they travel or go away. Typical house sitter duties include:
- Collecting mail/packages
- Arrosage des plantes d'intérieur et d'extérieur
- Feeding pets and providing companionship
- Following provided care instructions
- Providing basic home security
- Handling any maintenance issues
- Keeping the home tidy
House sitting arrangements range from a few nights up to many months. House sitters treat the home as their own, providing owners peace of mind that their precious house and pets are in good hands.
Why Earn Money House Sitting?
Why would someone want to get paid for house sitting? There are many great benefits:
- Gagner un revenu supplémentaire
- Voyager à moindre coût
- Live in desirable locations you may not be able to afford otherwise
- Enjoy free housing in exchange for services
- Set your own schedule and be your own boss
- Spend time with pets and animals
- Experience different communities and cultures
- Enjoy a flexible lifestyle
For animal lovers with wanderlust, house sitting allows you to earn money while traveling or living in amazing homes worldwide.
Average Pay Rates Per Night Nationwide
On average in the United States, overnight house sitters typically earn anywhere from $25 to $45 per night. However, rates can vary widely based factors like your experience, location, the homeowner’s budget, and services requested.
Some nightly pay ranges to expect in major U.S. cities include:
- New York City: $30 – $100+ per night
- San Francisco: $30 – $80 per night
- Los Angeles: $25 – $100+ per night
- Chicago: $25 – $50 per night
- Seattle: $25 – $60 per night
- Austin: $20 – $50 per night
- Atlanta: $20 – $50 per night
- Denver: $25 – $60 per night
- Miami: $25 – $75 per night
- Washington DC: $30 – $100 per night
As you can see, nightly earnings largely depend on the local market rates where you’re sitting. In higher cost-of-living cities, rates are greater.
Factors That Impact Overnight House Sitting Pay
Your nightly pay will ultimately depend on a variety of factors, including:
- Your previous house sitting experience
- Typical local rates for overnight pet sitters
- The home’s location – urban, suburban or rural
- The size of the home
- The number and types of pets
- Any special pet needs
- Specific duties like plant watering, package retrieval etc.
- Additional services offered, such as cleaning
- Time of year – holiday or peak seasons
- Overall demand and competitors in your area
The more duties required, the higher your nightly rate should be to compensate for more responsibilities.
How Much Experience Impacts Earnings
One of the biggest factors impacting how much you can charge per night is your previous house sitting experience. Those new to house sitting will need to charge less to build initial reviews and references. After successfully completing many overnight house sits, you can justify higher nightly rates.
Some typical earnings based on experience level include:
- No previous experience: $15 – $25 per night
- Less than 1 year experience: $25 – $35 per night
- 1-3 years experience: $30 – $50 per night
- Over 3 years experience: $40 – $60+ per night
As you complete more house sits and accrue positive reviews, you’ll gain credibility to request higher overnight rates. Homeowners are willing to pay more for established, trusted sitters.
Urban vs. Suburban vs. Rural Rates
Location also impacts potential nightly earnings. Urban house sits in major metro areas tend to pay the highest nightly rates. Suburban areas have mid-range earnings. Rural house sitting gigs tend to have lower nightly pay.
Some example rate ranges in different locations include:
Urban house sitting rates: $40 – $100+ per night
Suburban house sitting rates: $25 – $60 per night
Rural house sitting rates: $15 – $40 per night
More populated areas with higher costs of living mean homeowners have larger pet care budgets. You can request higher rates for urban house sits compared to rural.
How Home Size Impacts Pay
The size and type of home you’re sitting also influences potential nightly earnings. Generally, the larger the home, the more you can request per night:
Small 1-2 bedroom home rates: $20 – $40 per night
Average 3 bedroom suburban home rates: $25 – $50 per night
Large luxury 4+ bedroom home rates: $50 – $100+ per night
Larger homes typically involve more duties like bringing in mail, watering plants, handling packages and other responsibilities that warrant increased pay.
Number of Pets
The number of pets you’ll be caring for is another pricing factor. Each additional pet equals more work, especially for walks, feeding, medications etc. With multiple pets, you can justify charging a higher nightly rate.
1-2 pets: $25 – $50 per night
3-4 pets: $40 – $70 per night
5+ pets: $60 – $100+ per night
Make sure your rates adequately compensate you for the total amount of pet care duties required. More pets mean a higher rate is fair.
Special Pet Needs
Pets with special medical or behavioral needs require more specialized care from the sitter. Expect to earn higher pay when additional pet care duties are required:
- Senior pets needing medications: $5 – $10 more per pet per night
- Pets requiring injections: $10 more per pet per night
- Physically disabled/special needs pets: $10 – $15 more per pet per night
- Aggressive or anxious pets needing training: $10 – $15 more per pet per night
Adjust your rates upwards to account for significantly greater time commitments or any specialized training needed to properly care for pets with additional needs.
Additional Services Offered
Think carefully about any extra services you’re willing and able to take on during overnight sits. Offering popular add-ons like plant watering, bringing in mail, accepting packages etc. gives you leverage to increase your nightly fees.
Some additional services that warrant higher rates include:
- Plant watering: $5 – $15 more per night
- Mail/package retrieval: $5 more per night
- Pool or hot tub maintenance: $10 more per night
- Light yard work: $10 – $20 more per night
- Errands like grocery shopping: $10 – $20 more per trip
Provide a menu of add-on services you offer so homeowners can customize each sit.
Holidays and Peak Seasons
Expect to earn premium holiday or seasonal rates, especially over popular travel periods like:
- Winter holidays: $10 – $30+ more per night
- Spring break weeks: $10 – $25 more per night
- Summer vacations: $10 – $25 more per night
- Holiday weekends: $10 – $20 more per night
Rates can increase substantially for overnight house sits over peak holidays when demand is highest. Take advantage of supply and demand.
Competitor Rates in Your Area
One of the best ways to assess prevailing overnight house sitting rates in your region is to research competitor sitters on house sitting job boards like Trusted Housesitters, HouseSitter.com, MindMyHouse etc.
Analyze the rates charged by other local sitters with similar experience levels. Price your overnight rates competitively based on the local market conditions in your city. Setting your rates too high above competitors can mean missed opportunities.
How to Set Your Rates as an Overnight House Sitter
When determining your specific overnight house sitting rates, follow this process:
- Research local average rates
- Consider your previous house sitting experience
- Assess additional duties and services required
- Factor in home size and location
- Account for number and needs of pets
- Review competitor house sitter rates in your area
- Establish your base nightly rate range, including holiday/peak surcharges
- Provide rate samples and ranges on your website or house sitting profiles
- When contacted for overnight sits, provide a quoted nightly rate tailored to the specifics of each sit
- Make pricing clear in written house sitting agreements before confirming assignments
Adjust your rates periodically as you gain experience, demand grows, and you receive positive homeowner reviews. Gradually raise rates over time.
House Sitting Sites: Actual Overnight Rates Examples
To get a sense of real-world overnight house sitting rates being requested by homeowners and offered by house sitters, here are some actual examples of overnight pay rates pulled from popular house sitting job boards:
- Los Angeles, CA: $50 per night to care for home, pool, pets while owners travel.
- Austin, TX: $35 per night for 3 bedroom home, 2 large dogs. Includes pool maintenance.
- Brooklyn, NY: $75 per night for brownstone apartment, 1 cat. 5 nights minimum.
- Denver, CO: $30 per night for single woman travelers only. 2 pets – medium sized dog and elderly cat.
- Dallas, TX: $40 per night. Includes garden and pool upkeep.
- Nashville, TN: $25 per night for small home, 1 dog, 4 cats. Medications required 2x/day.
- Charleston, SC: $50 per night for historic downtown home, 2 Labradors. Minimum 7 nights.
- Savannah, GA: $30 per night. Must be ok with exotic birds.
As you can see, actual overnight house sitting rates vary based on location, duties, number of pets etc. but frequently fall in the $25 to $50 per night range. These real-world examples can help guide your own rate setting.
Factors That May Lower Your Nightly Income
While many variables impact earnings, a few factors may potentially lower your nightly rate range:
- Lack of previous house sitting experience
- Rural or low cost-of-living locations
- Competitive saturation in your area from other sitters undercutting pricing
- Few or no additional services offered
- Slow non-peak season timeframes
- Fewer responsibilities – ie. a pet-free house sit
- Owner budget limitations
To maximize potential income, emphasize your experience, highlight extra services you’re willing to provide, and demonstrate how you’re a premium sitter worth a higher rate compared to less qualified candidates.
How to Increase Your Overnight House Sitting Income
If your goal is to increase your nightly house sitting income over time, employ these effective strategies:
- Accumulate stellar reviews after each stay to validate your premium services.
- Increase your service offerings like plant watering, accepting packages, cleaning etc.
- Take professional development courses to obtain certifications like pet first aid/CPR.
- Expand your house sitting radius to reach higher paying urban neighborhoods.
- Promote seasonal or holiday availability when rates Increase.
- Create a professional website showcasing your experience and reviews.
- Learn skills like medical injections, grooming, training to care for specialized pets.
- Boost social media presence to attract more local leads.
- Join multiple house sitting platforms to increase lead opportunities.
- Consider offering competitive rates for last minute overnight sits to fill your calendar.
With proven marketing tactics and outstanding homeowner reviews, you can quickly bolster your overnight house sitting earning potential.
Pricing for Extended Multi-Night House Sits
For house sits lasting multiple consecutive nights, adjust your pricing to reflect extended stays. Some options are:
Flat nightly rate: Charge the same pre-negotiated nightly rate for the entire sit duration.
Tiered nightly rate: Offer prorated discounted rates for longer stays, such as $50/night 1-4 nights, $45/night 5-9 nights, $40/night 10+ nights.
Weekly rate: Quote a weekly rate with a lower per night average for longer sits of 5 nights or more.
Flat extended rate: Set a flat rate for the entire extended stay period – ie. $350 for 7 nights or $500 for 10 nights.
Offering discounts or a flat weekly/monthly rate for multi-night sits may help incentivize homeowners to book you for longer stays. Just ensure rates adequately compensate you first.
Items to Include in Your House Sitting Agreement
To ensure clarity around overnight rates and prevent any payment issues, include these details in written house sitting agreements:
- Exact daily/nightly rate, noting any rate increases for additional duties
- Any applicable taxes to be charged on top of base rates
- Surcharges for holidays, peak dates or puppy visits
- Cancellation and refund policy
- Due dates for payments, deposits, reimbursements etc.
- Preferred payment methods like bank transfer, PayPal, Venmo etc.
- Minimum stay requirements to earn the nightly rates quoted
With all rate and payment details in writing, you’ll avoid any misunderstanding about expected compensation for overnight sits.
Types of Perks Besides Monetary Payment
While good money is the primary motivator for most overnight house sitters, some non-cash “perks” may also be offered:
- Free accommodation
- Access to home amenities like a pool, gym, wifi, cable TV etc.
- Use of a car for the duration of the sit
- Complimentary bikes to use to explore the area
- House groceries and staples provided
- Wine, snacks or gift cards as thank you gifts
- Reimbursement for home supplies, pet food or utilities used
Consider total compensation when comparing overnight house sitting gigs. Free housing, car access and other perks provide additional savings and benefits.
Typical Payment Methods for Overnight Sits
Overnight house sitters get paid via several popular methods:
Cash: Direct cash payment upon arrival or at end of sit is common. Allows anonymous income.
Check: Homeowners may mail paper checks in advance or upon completion of sit. Adds legitimacy.
Digital payment apps: Platforms like PayPal, Venmo, CashApp, Apple Pay are convenient pay options.
Direct bank deposit: Homeowners can directly deposit sitter payments into your bank account.
Gift cards: Some homeowners give small thank you gift cards like Amazon or Visa cards.
Reimbursement: Sitters buy approved items for the home or pets and get reimbursed.
Require a non-refundable deposit upfront when possible to secure your time. Outline payment schedule and methods in your written agreement.
Are Overnight House Sitting Earnings Taxable?
In the U.S., if you earn over $600 in a calendar year as a house sitter, earnings are technically taxable as self-employment income. You’ll receive a 1099 tax form if you use sites like Rover or Care.com which report income. For overnight house sitting, taxes generally aren’t withheld, so you’re responsible for tracking income and paying estimated taxes quarterly to avoid penalties. Be sure to account for tax obligations in your financial planning if house sitting extensively.
House Sitting Sites: Creating Your Listing
To attract the greatest number of overnight house sit leads, create detailed profile listings on major house sitting job boards like:
In your profile, highlight:
- Previous house sitting and pet care experience
- Photo gallery of you interacting with pets
- Overnight, short, and long term availability
- Overnight rate range and any discounts offered
- Types of additional services you provide
- Links to your website, social profiles, portfolio etc.
- Homeowner references from previous overnight sits
With a compelling profile showcasing your qualifications and overnight rates, you’ll attract the most homeowner attention.
Advertising Your Overnight House Sitting Services Locally
Besides online job boards, promote your overnight house sitting services via:
- Community bulletin boards – libraries, coffee shops, rec centers, stores etc.
- Pet-related forums and groups specific to your city on Facebook
- Classified ads in community papers, penny savers etc.
- Local small business directory listings
- Pet care service marketplaces like Rover or Wag
- Sharing flyers or business cards at vet offices, groomers, parks, walking trails etc.
- Word of mouth referrals from existing clients
Cast a wide net locally to capture overnight house sitting opportunities in your metro area.
Questions Homeowners May Ask About Overnight Rates
Prepare to answer common homeowner questions like:
What’s included in your overnight rate? Detail all basic and add-on services.
Do you charge more for weekends vs. weeknights? Some sitters charge a premium for Friday/Saturday overnight stays.
What about major holidays? Make any holiday surcharges clear.
What’s your minimum stay requirement? Many require 2-5 consecutive night minimums to earn your full nightly rate.
When is payment due? Most require nonrefundable deposits upfront and final payment
Do rates vary by number of pets? Make any rate differences clear based on factors like additional pets.
Is there a discount for longer stays? Offering lower rates for extended sits of a week or longer can attract bookings.
Do you have a cancellation policy? Address when cancellation fees may apply if the sit is cancelled.
Do you have a house sitting agreement? Share that you use a written agreement clarifying rates, policies, and sitter/homeowner responsibilities.
Are rates negotiable? Some sitters are willing to negotiate rates under special circumstances.
Addressing these common questions in your initial communications can prevent any confusion about your overnight rates and policies.
Pay Ranges For Other House Sitting Services
Overnight house sitting is just one way to earn income. You can provide house sits and charge for:
- Daytime visits: $15 – $30 per 30-60 minute visit 1-2x/day
- Daily daycare: $25 – $50 per full day
- 24 hour care: $50 – $100+ per 24 hour period
- Live-in sits: $100 – $200+ per week
- Holiday sits: $25 – $100+ per day
- Last minute/urgent sits: $50 – $100+ per day
- Puppy sitting: $25 – $35 per day
Offer a menu of house sitting services at varied price points. This provides income options for any homeowner budget.
Is Overnight House Sitting Worth It Financially?
At first glance, overnight house sitting rates may seem low compared to full-time jobs. However, the free accommodation provided during sits makes it significantly more profitable:
- Average overnight house sitting rate: $40 x 25 nights = $1000
- Average cost of 25 nights in a hotel: $125 x 25 = $3125
So at a $40 per night house sitting rate, you’d earn the equivalent of $1,000 in lodging and $1,000 in income for a total value of $2,000. This brings the per hour value for overnight stays more in line with standard wages.
Additionally, you can deduct travel expenses against house sitting income, plus depreciation for items like your laptop or camera. Maximizing these tax write-offs greatly increases net earnings.
Overnight house sitting can be quite lucrative, especially as you build your experience, reviews, and client roster over time.
House Sitting Etiquette: Managing Homeowner Expectations
To ensure positive experiences, properly communicate:
- Set expectations upfront about your rates, duties, availability, policies etc.
- Reply to homeowner inquiries promptly – within 24 hours.
- Notify homeowners immediately about any issues or concerns during sits.
- Stick to the agreed upon written terms and don’t compromise.
- Be transparent about your level of experience if just starting out.
- Ask for permission before bringing any additional guests into the home during sits.
- Leave the home precisely as found upon conclusion of sit.
With clear communication and staffing to all agreements made, overnight house sitting relationships will thrive.
Pro House Sitter Tips: Earning Repeat Overnight Business
Stellar house sitters earn loyal repeat overnight business. You can keep homeowners booking your services again and again by:
- Consistently providing 5-star care for homes and pets
- Completing additional tasks like bringing in mail without being asked
- Sending photo updates during sits so owners see pets happy and home maintained
- Leaving a handwritten thank you note after each stay
- Giving pet souvenirs – new toys, treats, bandanas etc.
- Maintaining loving relationships with pets so they’re eager to have you back
- Learning pet/home preferences and keeping meticulous notes
- Offering flexible availability for common travel dates like holidays
- Providing house sitting references and reviews to give confidence
- Staying in touch between sits through periodic texts, photos or emails
Delivering exceptional, reliable service sit after sit makes you a coveted house sitter homeowners want to book far in advance.
Joining Professional House Sitting Associations
To continue developing your overnight house sitting skills, join industry groups like:
- National Association of Professional Pet Sitters
- Pet Sitters International
- The House Sitting Academy
- International House Sitters
These organizations offer benefits like:
- Access to sitter mentors
- Discounts on education and certifications
- Annual conferences and networking events
- Listings in house sitter directories
- Forums to exchange tips with other pros
Investing in a professional membership demonstrates your seriousness about building an overnight house sitting business.
Continuing Education to Boost House Sitting Income
Some courses that can increase your overnight house sitting income potential include:
- Pet first aid/CPR – Gain skills to manage emergencies confidently
- Canine/feline behavior seminars – Better understand pets’ needs
- Business management or marketing – Attract more clients
- Client communications – Provide 5-star customer service
- Home maintenance or DIY skills – Handle repairs that arise
Commit to lifelong learning. Added knowledge translates directly into higher overnight house sitting earnings.
Balancing Overnight Sits With Daily Life/Other Work
Managing frequent overnight gigs alongside your regular schedule takes thoughtful planning:
- Use a calendar to visualize sit dates and schedule time off
- Group multiple sits together in a row with breaks in between
- Set boundaries around maximum overnights per week/month
- Avoid overnights on key workdays if juggling another job
- Only accept sits within a set radius that are drivable
- Hire backup sitters you trust to cover occasional sits when needed
- Let regular overnight clients know your longer-term availability in advance
- Schedule house sits around existing family obligations, events etc.
With good time management, overnight sits can be seamlessly incorporated into your life.
Overnight House Sitting During Retirement/Senior Years
For retirees, overnight house sitting provides a rewarding way to:
- Earn supplemental income in retirement
- Reduce isolation and loneliness through pet companionship
- Maintain an active, engaged lifestyle
- Explore new communities
- Enjoy mental stimulation learning each home’s routines
- Foster new relationships with homeowners
With a flexible schedule and wealth of life experience, overnight house sitting can be a fulfilling retirement role.
Maximizing Tax Deductions For Overnight House Sitters
Relevant tax deductions overnight house sitters can utilize include:
- Mileage to/from house sitting gigs
- Portion of cell phone used for house sitting
- House sitting website hosting fees
- Pet sitting insurance costs
- Portion of homeowners/renters insurance
- House sitting training and education expenses
- Portion of computer/electronics if used for house sitting
- House sitting equipment like leashes, pet gear etc.
- House sitting union/association dues
- Advertising costs for house sitting services
Thoroughly documenting and deducting eligible business expenses lowers your taxable income from overnight work.
Safety Tips For Overnight House Sitters
Take these precautions for safe overnight house sitting experiences:
- Tell a friend/family where you’ll be and check in regularly
- Avoid sharing you’re alone or the homeowners are away on social media
- Lock all doors and windows – especially at night
- Don’t open the door for strangers – verify identities
- Leave lights on indoors and outdoors overnight for security
- Don’t bring in packages left outside – could be fraudulent
- Have emergency contacts programmed in your phone
- Keep your cell phone charged and with you at all times
- Trust your instincts – leave or call for help if you feel unsafe
Staying vigilant ensures peace of mind during your overnight stays.
Overnight house sitting provides a unique opportunity to earn extra income while enjoying free housing in desirable locations. If you love working with pets and have previous experience caring for homes, you can easily command $25 to $50+ per night. By providing exceptional service that earns 5 star reviews, you’ll be able to continually increase your rates over time.
With proper financial planning and marketing, overnight house sitting can become quite a lucrative side business in addition to enabling you to travel affordably. If you’re ready to take the plunge, get started building your house sitting credentials and networking with local homeowners seeking trustworthy, dedicated overnight sitters. The companionable, rewarding overnight house sitting lifestyle awaits!
- Let’s find How Much do Douse Sitters Make per Night!
- Average Pay Rates Per Night Nationwide
- Factors That Impact Overnight House Sitting Pay
- How Much Experience Impacts Earnings
- Urban vs. Suburban vs. Rural Rates
- How Home Size Impacts Pay
- Additional Services Offered
- How to Set Your Rates as an Overnight House Sitter